Top Saltwater Fish For Nano Tanks
Some may find nano tank keeping somewhat harder than running larger tanks due to the limited options in regards to choices of fish species and equipment. However, don’t despair, there’s still quite a number number of saltwater fish for nano tanks that are fairly easy to keep both for beginners and those more familiar with aquarium fish keeping, and below is our attempt to highlight some of the top choices of saltwater fish for nano tanks. Although there are many other choices, the following 10 saltwater fish species may serve as a good starting point.
10 Most Popular Saltwater Fish For Nano Tanks
1. Cardinal Fish: Although there are various types of cardinal fish, the most common saltwater fish for nano tanks species are those with black stripes, white spots, and long fins. They are small, peaceful fish that are not very active.
2. Chromis: The blue and green chromis viridis are not picky eaters, but they do love their space and being in charge. They thrive in groups and look beautiful swimming together. It is easy to keep and a great fish for nano tank beginners. However a minimum tank size of 30 gallons is required.
3. Orchid Dottyback: Bright and lavender in colour, this fish can be quite territorial and can be found chasing smaller fish away from places it has claimed as its own. They need places to hide away and they tend to like their hiding places to remain private. This fish will also do best in a 30 gallon or larger sized aquarium.
4. Firefish: This is yet another beautiful fish that has the reputation of being a jumper. If you decide to keep this fish, you will need to have a canopy over your tank. Other than that, it is a peaceful fish that brings a spark of personality to the tank.
5. Clownfish: This hardy fish will thrive in any saltwater nano tank and do best in pairs. There are more than thirty breeds of clownfish from which one can select depending on the size of tank one has in mind as some clownfish grow bigger than others.
6. Wrasse: Well known for its ability to jump, this nano aquarium saltwater fish is quite happy to live peacefully with other fish or in a reef aquarium. They are a colourful addition to any tank and are also active and need some space to swim about, so nothing smaller than a 30 gallon tank is recommended.
7. Blenny: Blenny fish such as Midas and Bicolor are well worth considering for a nano tank. For optimal care it’s advisable to provide rocks and crevices in which they can hide or rest on.
8. Angelfish: Dwarf Angelfish are saltwater fish for nano tanks that are very easy to keep. They enjoy being able to swim around and graze off and hide in live rock. It is a beautiful fish to watch as it moves around the tank. However it is not suitable for very small tanks.
9. Hawk Fish: Carnivorous and somewhat aggressive, the hawk fish requires a larger tank to swim around in. It loves to hide and perch on live rock. For it to live well with other nano aquarium fish, it should be the last fish to be added to the tank to avoid aggressive behaviour.
10. Damsel fish: The Damsel fish is very territorial which makes it challenging to keep them in large numbers. Other than that, it is a great fish for nano tank environments because it is a small fish and is also very hardy.
As you select your saltwater fish for nano tanks, take a little time to understand which other fish get along with your favourite or selected fish. This will ensure that the fish can live in harmony with each other and also enjoy the environment you create in the nano tank.